AD&D Greyhawk Homebrew
The following is a collection of common knowledge that all PCs and NPCs would know.
- Dragons are rare.
- Known good dragons: Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper
- Known evil dragons: Red, Blue, Green, Black, White
- Demons are not common exactly, but they are rather widespread since the Demongate war. Demon hunters are becoming an actual profession.
- Undead have become common since the Demongate war. Undead hunters as a profession is very profitable.
- Carving up and openly wearing/using good dragon (or any good aligned creature for that matter) bits will raise questions in some cultures and possibly be fatal in others.
- The demi-god, Iuz is slain and the arch-Lich demi-god, Tauralathan has taken his place. He has subjugated the northern barbarians and is rumored to have legions of stone gargoyles at his command. The evil humanoids of the North are also under his command. No one is certain what his plans are or why he did not take advantage of the weakened South during or after the Demongate war.
- (Common knowledge in and around the lands of the Vesve Forest) Castamir is a lieutenant of Tauralathan and has been razing the Northern Vesve for the past couple of years. He has bred/conjured a new type of ogre as his foot soldiers and employs them in nearly all of his schemes. His end goal is unknown, only that he is responsible for the evil humanoid action in the Vesve forest in recent years. They are highly organized and powerful. Their most recent actions were the sacking of and unsuspecting Tarkhog from their former base of operations out of the Keep of SIlveraeon.
- (Common knowledge in and around the lands of the Vesve Forest) The people of Mineville left their town after being freed of an evil demon’s influence that they uncovered years before deep in the mines there. According to reports, the villagers were living with their long dead relatives and loved ones.
- Demons roam the lands rather freely. With the close of the demongate in the South five years ago, not all of the demons that made it through were destroyed. There are reports of demon/human and demon/elf half breeds from their roamings and the death’s of the parent during birth.
- (Common knowledge in and around the lands of the Vesve Forest) The Sylvan elves of the Vesve forest are complete xenophobes and hate anyone not of their race.
- Grey elves are haughty and reclusive, yet knowledgeable and friendly once their outer shell is cracked. They are revered by all other elves as the highest of elves and given great honor.
- Artifacts are one of a kind, insanely powerful items. Nearly indestructible.
- Ironwood is one of the most sought after naturally occurring non-magical elements for weapons. Very rare and expensive.
- Thousands of years ago the Ancient Flan were a race of veritable supermen who mastered their physical form, powerful magics and populated the known world. They were destroyed when they became full of themselves and took on the demonic ridden Abyss in an effort to cleanse evil from existence. The resulting war ended with their god, Lothar (the god of light and all things good) being slain by the combined efforts of Demogorgon (arch-demon) and Incabulous (god of death and decay). Without their patron, the remaining Ancient Flan were hunted down and became nothing more than legend. Rumors abound of unrivaled treasures awaiting discovery in sunken cities, long forgotten temples and abandoned remote island fortresses.
- The church of Lothar is spreading rapidly across the Flanaess. Some report the wonders of the faith, while some are skeptical about the emergence of a “new god” based out of a legendary dead one.
- An evil swamp has risen in the mid-to-Northern Vesve. Rumor has it that an ancient temple rising out of the swamp is the root of it.
- Ancient necromancers have returned from the dead to plague the living. Rumor has it they seek Fraz-Urb’luu’s staff pieces for purposes only they can know.